This plaque is a tribute to the great composer Gustav Mahler. It was unveiled at the Trenker House in Toblach/Dobbiaco on October 2, 1957, almost forty years after the conductor’s death.
The ceremony was sponsored by Conductor Bruno Walter, honorary president of the „Internationale Gustav Mahler Gesellschaft“ of Vienna. The official speaker at the ceremony was professor Erwin Ratz, president of the “Internationale Gustav Mahler Gesellschaft”. On that occasion, Ratz expressed his wish that this tribute to Mahler may represent a stimulus to promote the preservation and protection of the hut by the Trenker house where he wrote his works.
At the same time a street was also named after the musician in Toblach/Dobbiaco.
Gustav Mahler Music Weeks at Toblach since 1981
A little music festival with international ambitions in the heart of
the Dolomites, where Gustav Mahler used to spend his summer
A part of the tradition of Gustav Mahler and his work, a place where
Mahler’s music, science, and discography get together.